Supporting children to make positive relationships matter
Primary AGENDA is a resource for educational practitioners who want to support children aged 7-11 to make positive relationships matter in their school and community.
Through starter activities and case studies, Primary AGENDA invites you to explore inclusive, creative and rights-based approaches to a range of issues including:
- feelings and emotions
- friendships and relationships
- body image
- gender and sexuality equality and equity.
Primary AGENDA includes:
- starter activities to help practitioners support children think about what matters to them, and what they would like to change
- suggested ways for children to take action, including a range of cross-curricular examples from dance and movement (expressive arts) to digital storytelling (ICT)
- case study examples of how schools have supported children to learn and raise awareness about issues that advance the building of respectful relationships
- examples of how creative methods and pedagogy, such as storytelling, crafting, movement or music, enables practitioners to become more aware of what matters to children
- further information about how to support children and young people to plan an awareness raising activity
- annual awareness raising and remembrance dates dedicated to advancing rights, equalities and social justice around the world
- links to organisations and websites for further information
- a rights-respecting, whole-school approach to gender equality
- ideas on how to create safe, confidential and supportive spaces.
“This resource provides safe, creative and hugely EXCITING ways to help children understand, explore and express their opinions on a whole range of vital issues. We mustn’t underestimate the ability of younger children. I find children of primary school age to be passionate, creative, curious and with a huge sense of social justice. I can’t wait to share Primary AGENDA with primary schools in Wales!”
Sally Holland, Children’s Commissioner for Wales
“It’s fantastic to see that there is now a ‘Primary AGENDA’ resource – the first ‘AGENDA’ resource has been hugely successful and has been used widely throughout Wales. This new resource will [support] teachers to provide comprehensive, relevant and inclusive RSE, under both the current and future curriculum arrangements.
“I am delighted to be supporting Primary AGENDA and would encourage all teachers and practitioners to use it to support and empower children to make positive relationships matter in all aspects of their lives from family, friends, community and the world.”
Kirsty Williams, Minister for Education, Welsh Government
Please cite as: Renold, E. (2019) Primary AGENDA: Supporting children in making positive relationships matter. Cardiff: Cardiff University, Children’s Commissioner for Wales, NSPCC Cymru, Welsh Government, Welsh Women’s Aid.
Download the resources
Download the Primary AGENDA toolkit and resources in English
Download the Primary AGENDA toolkit and resources in Welsh