Graded Care Profile 2 (GCP2)
Neglect is the most common reason for a child to be the subject of a child protection plan or on a child protection register for the UK as a whole, and is present in the majority of serious case reviews (Brandon, M. et al, 2013).
It can be difficult to assess neglect as it has a high threshold for recognition and assessment can be subjective.
> Find out more about child protection plan and register statistics in the UK
What is Graded Care Profile 2?
Graded Care Profile 2 (GCP2) is an evidence-based assessment tool that helps professionals measure the quality of care provided by a parent or carer in meeting their child’s needs, particularly where there are concerns about neglect.
Using the GCP2 tool, professionals ‘grade’ aspects of family life on a scale of one to five. This assessment helps them identify areas where the level of care children receive could be significantly improved.
> Find out more about Graded Care Profile 2
> Download our Graded Care Profile 2 case studies (PDF)
Building on what we have learnt through developing, delivering and scaling up GCP2, we are trialling the effectiveness of a tool that helps professionals identify and ensure that the right support is in place for expectant parents, with the aim of preventing concerns escalating once the baby is born.
> Find out more about the GCP2 antenatal offer
How it was developed
Graded Care Profile (GCP) was originally created by consultant paediatrician, Dr. Srivastava. We worked with him to redevelop the tool and create an updated version which is known as Graded Care Profile 2 (GCP2). This is an authorised and fully tested version of the GCP tool.
The difference? It’s more user friendly and comprehensive enough to help professionals with assessments and subsequent work with families.
What the assessment tool is designed to do
Using the GCP2 assessment tool, you’ll be able to:
- measure the quality of care being provided to children you work with
- identify where children require further support and whether the level of care received needs to be improved
- implement a constructive working relationship with families
- increase your confidence in decision making at all levels
- promote multi-agency working and train professionals across agencies to use the tool – creating a common language and improving the quality of referrals.
"The support, advice and enthusiasm from the NSPCC team around implementing this tool is second to none. A collegiate approach which allows us to avoid potential challenges and troubleshoot difficulties."
How effective is the assessment tool?
Professionals who were already embedding the tool have told us that:
- referrals were clearer and more likely to lead to actions that would support the child
- some practitioners felt it enabled parents to better understand professionals’ concerns
- some families were reported to make positive health and lifestyle choices as a result.
These findings come from our evaluation of how we support organisations to use GCP2.
> Read our implementation evaluation of Graded Care Profile 2
See the References and resources tab for a full list of reports about this service.
How we will help you
We have helped support over 80 local areas to use GCP2 across the UK. We will help you make GCP2 a success by being available every step of the way to provide you with the support and advice you need to effectively implement the tool in your local area.
What can you expect from us? We’ll be:
- helping you develop a robust implementation plan so that you can sustainably implement the tool locally
- organising webinars and workshops for strategic partners
- providing implementation planning resources and support
- arranging training sessions and materials to support local delivery (minimum of two delegates)
- providing you with access to over 60 resources to support delivery, usage and implementation
- offering opportunities to attend and engage with GCP2 colleagues and sites across the UK through our community of practice forums
- notifying you about upcoming events, webinars and newsletters.
"As implementation lead for our local authority, I have been helped through the process by the expert assistance of the team at NSPCC. They have been able to answer my questions and together we have found solutions to issues."
How to deliver Graded Care Profile 2
Our expert consultants and trainers can help you and other professionals in your area use GCP2 effectively.
Email email@example.com for more information about delivering this service.
Graded Care Profile 2 Antenatal (GCP2-A)
The antenatal period and early years of a child’s life can have a profound impact on their future physical and emotional safety and wellbeing. It’s important that parents are given support to provide the best care for their developing baby and new-born infant (Gerhardt, 2004).
GCP2-A helps midwives, social workers and health visitors identify areas where expectant parents are doing well but may also require support.
We are working with eight NHS Trusts and Local Authorities to understand the effectiveness of the tool before inviting others to become trained and licenced to use it in their area.
If you are interested in finding out more, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.