Our two-day training course will help you gain the skills to act appropriately and confidently to protect the children you work with in a designated child protection role.
Taught by experienced professionals, you will learn how to recognise, report and record concerns about a child.
If you have previously attended a Designated child protection lead (DCPL) course and want to refresh your skills, please see our DCPL refresher training course.
Not in Scotland?
See our courses for England, Northern Ireland and Wales.
What will I learn?
During this training course, you'll learn how to:
- outline the key responsibilities of the designated child protection lead role
- state your own values regarding abuse and maltreatment and the impact of these on professional practice
- describe the government legislation and guidance that underpin child protection policy
- apply the Getting it right for every child (GIRFEC) National Practice Model approach to protect and support children and young people
- develop an organisation-wide strategy to ensure the safety and welfare of those with whom it has contact
- explain the factors that inhibits the disclosure of abuse and respond effectively to someone who does disclose
- explain the factors that prevent staff reporting child protection concerns, and how to overcome these
- take appropriate actions when informed of concerns, including concerns regarding staff or volunteers
- state what is likely to happen following a referral to the relevant investigating agencies and what further role they may have
- explain the issues in connection with recording and sharing of information, including that of confidentiality
- display awareness of the emotional side of child protection work and build a personal support network.
Choose your learning style
This training course is available face-to-face or as a live virtual training session, to support a range of learning styles.
Both options are taught by experts and feature the latest legislation, guidance and best practice. So you can choose to learn on location in a dedicated learning space or from the comfort of your own home or office.
Want to commission bespoke training?
If you are interested in training for your organisation, please call 0116 234 7246 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.